Salmon Soup

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The whole family just love salmon, as steak or any type of cooking, and this soup is well loved by my kids. It's actually my husband's recipe, mind you, and he never wanted to share it till he had to work further than us, in KL to be exact, and becoming weekend-husband a.k.a weekend-papa to the kids *grin* So, like it or not, he had to teach me, since my kids sometimes request for this soup on weekday, so that's how I got this well-guarded recipe of his :P It's a Japanese food, again, and this time, you need to use a special Japanese ingredient to make it - dashi. You can easily get Dashi in Jusco, and I prefer to use those pack with small packets inside, as you'll need 1 small packet in each soup pot, so easier to measure. Also, you can use any part of salmon, prerably the head with bone parts, which you can get very cheap at either Jusco or Carrefour whenever available. I usually got questions from curious eyes when I buy this, why do you buy the bones? My answer is to make fish soup and they looked surprised at first but curious enough to buy one to try *grin* You can also add in some flesh parts, it'll be yummier!


400g of salmon
200g daikon cut into cubes
1 potato cut into cubes
4-5 leaves of Chinese cabbage also cut
1 carrot sliced thickly about 1/2cm each
2 Japanese negi/spring onion sliced 2-3cm each
1 block of soft tofu cut into cubes
1 packet of enoki mushrooms
3 cups of water
1 small packet of dashi

Boil daikon, potato and carrot till tender. Then, add in dashi and stir well to mix. Add in salmon, other vegetables but avoid much stirring, make it very minimal. Finally, add in tofu. If necessary, add in salt and pepper to taste..usually I don't. Very simple and fast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BZ Mama's Kitchen Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino